Para obtener una versión en español de este artículo de solución, haga clic aquí.
What is safewifi?
How to Use safewifi
Please note that the default position of safeWifi is disabled and is displayed as Gray.
When you activate the safeWifi toggle to ON, it will change to Green.
Notes on safewifi
- The parent or admin can enter up to 6 SafeWiFi SSID’s into the user profile section of the user settings in the Preference Tab
- The SSID’s are case sensitive and must be entered exactly as the SafeWiFi™ SSID’s are listed. For example, if the school uses the SSID ABC_Middle_Kids,> it must be entered exactly with proper case to function.
- When the user enters an area where the software detects that the SSID is listed as a SafeWiFi™, the VPN will not launch and the user will be protected by that locations (school, church, openDNS) network.
- If the user toggles WiFi off and begins using the carrier cellular network, the software will assume that the user has left the SafeWiFi and will launch VPN.
- The SafeWiFi toggle will need to be set to (GREEN) or active to activate that feature. It is GRAY to let the parent know that VPN will not be active in SafeWiFi areas. Also, the device will not use Netsanity for internet content filtering protection while the setting is set to the GRAY position, VPN is thus disabled.
safewifi Setup Procedure
- Start by making sure that the device is NOT in a SafeWifi area. Only continue with the steps below if the device is not near the area you are about to set up as a SafeWiFi.
Select the preferences tab on the left and you will see the SafeWiFi area on the right (users with Apple devices only)
- Enter the SSID of the SafeWiFi exactly as it appears in the device when you are there. Alternatively, you may ask the administrator of the school or other party to get the SSID.
- Once entered, click ADD button to add it.
- On the device, toggle VPN On-Demand to the OFF position
- That setting is located here Settings>General>VPN
- Click the blue (i) circle next to Netsanity VPN Toggle Connect On Demand to OFF
- Depending on your VPN Enforcement State mode (Passive/Active), it may take anywhere from 3 - 20 minutes to get a new VPN profile which will contain the new SSID's and SafeWiFi settings.
Once the new VPN profile installs, it will include your SafeWiFi™ SSID’s, and next time you are in a SafeWiFi™ zone, the VPN will not launch. You must turn ON (GREEN) the SafeWiFi toggle before the child enters school or other SafeWiFi area and set a reminder. It will appear after the first SSID is entered. When turning it ON, you will be prompted for a reminder to be emailed to you in case youwant to toggle it off later.
FAQ & Known Issues
- Certain combinations of settings may freeze or “brick” the network stack forcing the device to need a restart to return to normal. This is more common with WiFi-only devices such as iPods or wireless only iPads Every time new SSID’s are added or existing ones are removed, a new profile will need to be sent to the device.
- IMPORTANT: If you forget to turn the SafeWifi toggle back to normal (GRAY), the device will NOT re-enable the VPN on its own. So if a child is home and toggles On Demand to Off, our system will not enable it since it thinks they are a safe wifi area like school or other safe area.