What is safewifi?
This feature allows children in school or other "safe" WiFi areas to use their devices without the VPN being active. Many schools are enforcing their school networks settings and blocking some types of VPN's. This is to prevent students from using their own VPN client on their smartphones to bypass the school's internet content filtering policies. Netsanity's SafeWiFi will allow parents or admins to temporarily disable the child's iPhone device from launching VPN and thus will be usable on the school's or another safe network where there is already a safe and approved content filtering solution. Using safeWifi does NOT remove Netsanity from their device - it simply stops the VPN from launching when it is in the previously selected safe SSID WiFi area.
safewifi Setup Procedure
Setting up SafeWiFi is as easy as typing a wireless network name! If a school or area is blocking VPN, that is a good reason to use it. If you already use OpenDNS at home for internet filtering, for example, you can add your home wifi SSID to safewifi so VPN will NOT launch while your child is at home. If they try to turn off wifi on the iPhone, the system assumes they have left the safewifi area and will turn VPN on as it is now not on wifi at all.
- When managing the child, click on Preferences on the left-hand side of the screen and you will see the SafeWiFi area on the right (users with Apple devices only).
- Click the green "Add" button.
- Enter the SSID of the SafeWiFi exactly as it appears in the device when you are there. Alternatively, you may ask the administrator of the school or other party to get the SSID.
- After double checking the wireless network name for accuracy, click the orange save button.
Notes on safewifi
- The parent or admin can enter up to 5 SafeWiFi SSID’s into the user profile section of the user settings in the Preference Tab
- The SSID’s are case sensitive and must be entered exactly as the SafeWiFi™ SSID’s are listed. For example, if the school uses the SSID ABC_Middle_Kids, it must be entered exactly with proper case to function.
- When the user enters an area where the software detects that the SSID is listed as a SafeWiFi™, the VPN will not launch and the user will be protected by that locations protection or filtering solution. (school, church, openDNS).
- If the user toggles WiFi off and begins using the carrier cellular network, the software will assume that the user has left the SafeWiFi location and will launch VPN.
- VPN will not be active in SafeWiFi areas. Also, the device will not use Netsanity for internet content filtering protection while the setting is set to the GRAY position, VPN is thus disabled.
Once the new VPN profile installs, it will include your SafeWiFi™ SSID’s, and next time you are in a SafeWiFi™ zone, the VPN will not launch.
Last modified / checked: 04/08/2019