Netsanity has added a new Enhanced VPN to all its global markets. New customers (after Jan 1st, 2018) will automatically get the new Enhanced VPN as their default VPN. Netsanity will also to continue to support and offer the Legacy VPN for customers that prefer to keep the Legacy VPN, as there are considerations for some customers to switch to the Legacy VPN. For details on each version and to determine which type is right for your child's devices, please see below.
Netsanity automatically enrolls all new customers with the Enhanced VPN version starting on Jan 1, 2018. There are many advantages to this latest VPN type and Netsanity recommends the use of this version for the majority of our customers and their child devices. Please see below the list of benefits:
- Faster authentication, so the connection will typically be faster than the Legacy VPN
- Better support for routers and carriers. Many carriers dropped support for the Legacy VPN type and newer routers also support the Enhanced Type better
- Better support for International customers
- Supports Netsantiy's new YouTube Filtering
- Fully supported by Apple
There are cases where some customers may prefer to use Legacy VPN type on some devices. Please see below for specifics on the use of Legacy VPN type:
- NETFLIX and some other video streaming services will not work with Enhanced VPN. They block most VPN's to avoid customers streaming content illegally from other countries. Netsanity gives customers 2 options to address this issue. One, you may simply request that Netsanity provides your account with our Legacy VPN which will not effect NETFLIX. Or, two, while at home, you may use Safewifi, to disable VPN and hence not effect NETFLIX streaming.
- YouTube filtering will not be fully supported if Legacy VPN is used
- Legacy VPN does not encrypt all traffic like Enhanced VPN does, so using Legacy VPN will increase battery life between charges
Determining What VPN Type Your Apple Device Has
There are two simple ways to see what version of VPN your Apple device has.
- Log in to your dashboard and select the device via the Manage Device button. Once the Info tab is displayed you will see the type below:
Alternatively, you may look at your device while it is connected to VPN to see what type you have.
- Please navigate to Settings>General>VPN
- Click the blue (i) circle next to Netsanity VPN
- Observe the Type
- Type IKEv2 = Enhanced VPN
- Type IKE or IKEv1 = Legacy VPN
How To Change Your Current VPN Type
Customers can change their preferred VPN type anytime with a simple toggle. The device has to be unlocked and connected to the internet. After a few seconds, a new VPN profile will be delivered to the device. During this process the VPN icon will disappear and reappear again - this is normal.
From the device info screen for an Apple device, toggle the VPN Type to the preferred type. The info will list which VPN type that device is currently using.
- Legacy VPN uses IKEv1 IPsec protocol as it security method
- Legacy VPN only encrypts DNS traffic
- Enhanced VPN uses IKEv2 IPSec protocol and Full Tunnel to establish the sessions and encrypt all traffic
- More technical information on IKE versions, please read here.